There's an amazing room in our home with a section of wall running along the south edge of our property. It spans from east to west and is outfitted with six windows where I grow our plants and garden starters each spring. During this time of winter, when our outside temperatures regularly sink to the single digits, the sun falls far south in our sky and we are rarely dazzled with its brilliance. Nevertheless, there are days, like today, when the heavens open and the entire room is engulfed in light and warmth.
Feeling a bit under the weather this morning, I arranged my chair so that I sat directly facing these windows, allowing the sun to beat down against my pale skin. The rays soaked into my face and I lost all my concerns, momentarily. Such bliss.
Then, quite suddenly, the unexpected happened within my spirit. And before I could stop it...
And I prayed for...
The longer I sat in front of those windows, the more prayer requests flooded from my heart. And while uttering each name before the Creator, such an emotional weight was lifted...my petitions were heard.
- A friend and classmate from our old church and university in Texas, Jenny Bizaillion, who contracted pneumonia not even two weeks ago and is now in ICU on a ventilator. Her family was notified this morning that they must amputate her legs this afternoon at 3pm.
- My cousin, who is now on his way to Iraq (after the Fort Hood incident in November where he was stationed).
- My uncle who has had 14 back surgeries and who lives in unimaginable pain every day of his life.
- Our friends, Matt and Shelly -- Matt is heading to Haiti tomorrow. Enough said.
- Stephanie Nielsen who (with her husband) endured a horrific plane crash and still faces a long road of pain and healing.
- My dear friend who is recovering from the shocking loss of her husband which left her the single mom of four children.
- Many friends who are currently job-searching and in need of immediate income to help sustain their families.
I traded my sorrows for joy today.
And I am grateful and humbled for the light and warmth and love I experienced as I whispered my prayers in the light of the sun.